Sophomore Snapshots

Meet three sophomores who have excelled in varsity football this year.

Sophomore Gabe Lynch warming up before a game.

Gabe Lynch

How much playing time do you get?

• I’ve gotten the ball 13 times for about 100 yards

What number are you?

• #30

What position do you play?

• Running back

When did you start playing football?

• Second grade

Why do you like being on the team?

• It’s an escape from everything that I have to do off the field. Football is the one place where I can take out all my struggles and emotions on the field and have fun doing it with a team that wants to make themselves better people on and off the field

Describe the challenges of being a sophomore on varsity and how you overcame them.

• Working hard and always leaving everything on the field. Believing in myself was a huge part, as I know what I’m capable of doing. Now all I can do is perform when my name gets called up.

What’s your favorite memory playing Carmel football?

• I haven’t played many games yet at the varsity level, although our last freshmen game in 2018 was a great one. We played Saint Patrick’s in the city and it was a battle until the end. We ended up scoring to take the lead in the 4th quarter. I felt like our team finally came together, and we all played knowing we have each others backs. That really showed in our victory, finishing the season 4-5.

What has football taught you?

• Many life lessons that I probably wouldn’t have developed if it weren’t for the coaches and teammates I’ve been able to play with over the years. Respect and overcoming adversity were some of the biggest lessons I learned, as I still use them in my everyday life.

What are you looking forward to the most this season?

• Playing my hardest and performing at the varsity level. All of us have worked a great amount this summer to win games on Friday night, and that’s what we are here to do. This season is definitely going to be tough although when we play knowing we have each others back, we will find success.

Sophomore Jon Buckley catching a pass.

Jon Buckley 

How much playing time do you get?

• I start on offense and am on the field for almost every offensive snap.

What number are you?

• #17

What position do you play?

• Wide Receiver 

When did you start playing football?

•  I started playing football freshman year for Carmel.

Why do you like being on the team?

• I like being on the football team because it gives me time to forget about everything else going on in my life and focus on the game itself.

• The main challenge of being a sophomore on the varsity team is the amount of time it takes up. We have practices throughout most of summer, every day after school, and morning workouts as well.

What’s your favorite memory while playing Carmel football?

• My favorite memory while playing Carmel football was when we beat St. Viator last year.

What has football taught you?

• Football has taught me discipline and teamwork. It has also taught me to persevere through difficult times.

• I am looking forward to making the playoffs and representing the Carmel community on the field.

Sophomore Aidan Lucero practicing before a game.

Aiden Lucero

How much playing time do you get?

• We’ve played three games so far this season and I’ve played half of two of them. 

What number are you?

• #9

What position do you play?

• Quarterback

When did you start playing football?

• Fourth grade

Why do you like being on the team?

• I like being part of the team because it’s like being part of a family. I also really enjoy football; it’s a getaway from everything else in my life.

Describe some of the challenges of being on varsity and how you overcame them.

• One of the challenges is just being an underclassmen, but it has nothing to do with the respect within the team. It’s that the older guy gets to start over me and have more playing time than me.

• My favorite memory was when we won against St. Patrick’s; we knocked them out of the playoffs. When everyone rushed onto the field it was a great feeling. 

What has football taught you?

• It has taught me responsibility. I have to be organized and keep my grades up. It has also taught me hard work because I had knee surgery last year. So I had to come back fully recuperated and ready to play. 

• I think we have a good chance at the playoffs. So I’m looking forward to seeing how well we do.