Crossroads

Carmel Seniors Begin Mapping Their Future

Between taking the ACT, college visits, and filling out applications, Carmel seniors are keeping busy this fall as they take on the college application process.

Back to Article
Back to Article

College and Career Resource Center

College and Career Resource Center

Jen Cutro '19

College and Career Resource Center

Jen Cutro '19

Jen Cutro '19

College and Career Resource Center

Sarah Erickson, Reporter

“Choosing a college or university is one of the first big decisions that you have to make in your young life,” College and Career Counselor Nate Bargar said.

As Bargar takes on his second year at Carmel, he works to provide the resources that are needed to make the college application process less stressful. “As a college preparatory high school, we start preparing our students for college when they are freshmen,” Bargar said.

“Throughout the year, we have presentations from college representatives, meetings with counselors, and events such as ‘Cookies and Career’ which allow students to explore different career paths that they might want to take.” Bargar believes that when students

“As a whole, our faculty here at Carmel are very accessible. To lower the stress of the application process, the key is self-advocacy,” Bargar said.

“If students are being their best self-advocate and working hand and hand with our faculty, the process won’t be as stressful.” In addition, new to Carmel this year is the “Senior College Advisory Team.”

The team was created so that seniors had more sources to reach out to during this stressful time. The team is made up of fourteen seniors that help reach out to their peers and guide them in their application process. If a student has any questions or concerns about applying to college, the Advisory Team is there to help.

“As a member of the Advisory Team, my job is to inform students of the events happening in the CCRC such as college visits or cookies and career days,” senior Jen Cutro said. “We post fun photos from students’ college visits and Instagram stories of college visit dates and times to ensure that students know when to come.”

Early action deadlines vary depending on the school, but the most common deadline is coming up on Nov. 1. Seniors rushing to perfect their essays and applications.

“Between taking the ACT, filling out applications, writing essays, deciding a career path and on top of that trying to do well in school, there is no escaping the stress,” senior Sammy Pann said.

“But because I’ve attended many college presentations held at Carmel and talked to representatives from my top schools, I feel pretty prepared going into this tough process.”

“From freshman year to now, I have become so much more independent and I feel ready to be successful on my own in college,” Pann said. “I’m really excited for the future.”

“I am extremely confident in the class of 2019. They have been so diligent and have absorbed the message of self-advocacy very well. When you’re working with three hundred 17 and 18 year-olds, not everything is going to be perfect,” Bargar said. “For anybody to expect that would be crazy. At the same time, I have no question or doubt that the class of 2019 will be successful.”