Banding together: marching band headed to Florida

Seniors in Carmel’s band program have the unique opportunity create one more page in their high school photo album later this month.
On Thursday, March 22, members of the band will travel to Florida for the program’s traditional trip. The excursion, which is open to any individual in regular or jazz band, occurs every four years, allowing each member to go once during his or her high school career. For many seniors, the trip is a cultivation of four years worth of work.
“As a senior, this trip is a great opportunity to make some lasting memories with people you’ve worked alongside for four years,” senior and percussionist Theresa Thiel said.
While the trip promises to be personally enriching, students will also benefit professionally. For four days, students will attend music clinics and tours at Walt Disney World, ending the experience with a final clinic and department visit at the University of Kentucky. For many band members, the trip is a way to reflect back on the past while improving their skills for the future.
“I’m looking forward to spending time at the parks and the clinics,” Thiel said, “but most of all with the band students that I’ve grown close to throughout my time at Carmel.”
Senior and drum major Carolyn Im echoed Thiel’s thoughts, emphasizing how important this last trip is for the group, both as an individual and a group.
“Everyone is really excited to spend more time together in the park and strengthen the bonds we formed during the marching band season,” Im said.