Crossroads

The Fourth Year

The Corsairs basketball team has evolved in more way than one

David Stull, Reporter

Life is filled with changes. People can change the way they think and act from month to month, much less over the course of a whole year. For Zack Ryan, the varsity basketball team head coach, there has been a lot of time to make changes.

Ryan, who’s been the head varsity basketball coach since the 2014-2015 season, has implemented more physical preparation for his team, and has begun to utilize younger talent to assist the team as well.

“We’ve really put a big emphasis on the strength and conditioning,” Ryan said. “That has a lot to do with EFT. Our guys have taken it seriously, and you can notice the difference.”

Prior to Ryan’s tenure as head coach, the basketball team never used EFT as a means of getting stronger, but Ryan believes it’s certainly paid off.

“It’s huge for our guys to put in that kind of work and be able to see it pay off,” Ryan said.

Not only has the team changed physically, but younger talent, such as freshman Kimari Wilson, have been afforded a role on the team.

“He’s going to be a key part for us,” Ryan said, “and I think he realizes he’s being inserted into a team that’s played a lot together and has good chemistry. The older guys also understand that he’s a guy who can help us.”

Wilson isn’t the only freshman to have played varsity basketball under Ryan, however. Johnny Roeser, who’s currently a junior, was also able to play varsity basketball since his freshman year.

“We have a lot of juniors that have had varsity basketball experience since their freshman and sophomore years,” Ryan said.

Ryan’s efforts to make changes have ultimately been aiming towards improvement, in more ways than one.

“They know I’m just trying to make them the best player and person they can be,” Ryan said, “and to help the team win.”