Use Your Resources

The IC now has the ARC

First semester is more than halfway over, and many students are feeling the stress and disorganization ramp up. To help ease students’ nerves – at least when it comes to homework help –  Carmel now offers the Academic Resource Center, led by Jonathan Clark.

Located in the upper level of the Information Commons, ARC has a “for students by students” mentality, meaning that students may drop in any time throughout the week and receive academic help from student tutors. For additional help, a math and and an English teacher are present in the ARC on Mondays and Wednesdays after school.

“Mainly, students drop by if they need help on an assignment, upcoming test, or with a particular unit. Instead of students going to teachers or if the teacher is busy, now the ARC is the hub for all classes so students can use it to collaborate,” Clark said. “The tutoring is much more centralized with the new system.”

Junior Annie Burkhalter helps out at the ARC with math and English.

“I hope students feel like they’re getting something out of the tutoring I give them,” Burkhalter said. “I want to see them succeed at Carmel, and I’ll do anything to move the process along.”

The demand from students from past years lead Carmel to finally test run this program. The way it works is that students can drop in at the ARC or request a specific tutor to accomplish their task. If a request is made, then Clark pairs the student with a member of National Honor Society or Mu Alpha Theta.

“Students wanted a place to go for help and we didn’t have any outside resources beforehand if a teacher was busy. We saw this as an opportunity for people to get involved in the community because the students were the ones who wanted extra help,” Clark said. “There was a need for it.”

Students can use the ARC for a simple homework question, to have their paper looked over, to settle confusion on a lesson, and a variety of other forms of help. Clark hopes that students will take advantage of the opportunity for assistance.

“I want students to be up there receiving help and resources that all can use,” Clark said. “I want them to know that if they ever have a question and can’t see a teacher, there’s always an opportunity for extra help.”