We've Got Our Site Set On You

Crossroads

A School Divided

Megan Brinkman, Editor-in-Chief

The auditorium is dark. Eerie and empty. Outside, students rush past, unaware of the almost-sacred silence that has settled over the room. Then, all at once, the workers descend. Dressed in identical aprons and clear plastic glasses, the Advanced Stagecraft class, the most advanced level that Carmel offers, begins to pound life into the boards backstage of the auditorium. However, there is something besides their attire that almost every single builder has in common. They are all male but one.

A product of tradition–or perhaps perceived stereotypes–this trend is relatively consistent over semesters and years. While it would be nice to think this not-so-subtle lack of gender diversity is rare or remarkable, the simple fact is that it is not.

And nowhere was this more apparent that in this year’s group of student section leaders. The team includes–yes, you guessed it–not a single girl. As outstanding members of the student body, these leaders are integral parts in cheering on Carmel’s athletic events. So why is there not a female at its helm?

The lack of representation does not simply harm one gender. Carmel’s student athletic trainers are an all-female group by no one’s choice but their own. A striking balance to the football team they serve, the trainers have traditionally been an all-female group. Their status is similar to that of the Advanced Stagecraft group: they are selected from a class that students choose to enroll in. But why does only one gender choose to enroll in it?

These activities are allowed and fully available, yet so few students decide to partake in them. Representation is crucial for students to feel accepted in an activity. Without precedent, gender, race, or age, students feel limited in what they can accomplish. Despite this understanding, students have yet to openly challenge the gender divide. Students should be the ones to take a leadership position in challenging gender diversity, diversity of all kinds really. This is what our school and community needs. We are on our way, but just not there yet.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “A School Divided”

1. Ms. Laskonis on October 20th, 2017 8:01 am

This is a very thoughtful and interesting opinion piece!

[Reply]

2. Grace May on October 20th, 2017 3:21 pm

Great piece Megan! I loved that you included both sides of the split and pulled examples from various parts of the school. You go girl!!!!!

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

We've Got Our Site Set On You
A School Divided