New Year, Stronger Rule Enforcement

Most of the rules students are calling “new” have actually been in place for years.

Shoes

Carmel’s shoe policy has changed over the years. As recently as three years ago, students could only wear dress shoes, but two years ago, they were allowed to wear gym shoes of any color. Why the modification to the type of shoe students can wear this year?

“I do feel that the uniform dress code is a visual representation of our dignity and integrity,” said Debra Laskonis, Dean of Students. Making shoes all neutral in color and getting rid of Crocs, Laskonis said, “provides a more professional look.”

Although putting in a request to wear Crocs as part of special game-day dress is still an option, students must ask their coaches to make sure that their shoe choice is specified.

Headphones

Students are not allowed to wear earbuds or headphones anywhere but in the cafeteria/lounge, or in the Information Commons outside of school hours. 

“Students need to be aware of what is happening around them,” Laskonis said. “It isn’t safe for students not to be aware in the busy hallways.” Laskonis said she believes it is important for kids to be unplugged while at school, that people should have a conversation with each other face to face.

Uniform

The policy for skirts has been the same for many years, according to Associate Principal for Operations and Student Life Laura Budris.

“Skirts appear shorter over time due to the fabric shrinking from laundering them, and from students growing, which impacts the fit,” Budris said. “This year, an additional effort is being made to individually address students who are wearing a skirt that is too short. Students are expected to be in compliance.”

Hair Length

The men’s hair policy, including facial hair, is the same as it’s always been, but now it its being more strictly enforced.

What is Your Reaction to the Dress Code Being Enforced More Strictly?

“I do believe that there should be a decided-upon length, but to the knee is too long. Some girls are tall. I think low thigh is a better length.”

Luzolo Amina ’20

“I think that [the rules] are all right. They’re not too bad. I like that we’re free to wear our choice of shoes.”

Isaiah Lopez ’21

“I think that they could be less strict about the dress code, especially about the skirts. It is simply not realistic to enforce [skirt lengths] to this extent.”

Erica Smyth ’18

How are you and your friends 
dealing with the changes?

My friends and I are trying to do the best we can to not get into trouble.
Jenna Malandrino ’19

I hate all the drama that people add. Just unroll your skirt and just have it be the right length. Sometimes people are dresscoded for a skirt that doesn’t even show much. So yeah, it’s frustrating and a gray area depending on who you are.
Luzolo Amina ’20

I have been trying to get longer skirts, but it’s expensive. I love Carmel except for this that majorly stresses me out.
Abby Bostrack ’21