English scholars shine

Carmel’s English scholars get recognized by Harbinger

Carmel’s award-winning literary magazine, Harbinger, handed out some awards of its own when the student publication announced the winners for its annual contest.

Students submitted pieces in three different categories: visual arts, prose and poetry with the top three in each category taking home gift cards as prizes.

Prose submissions covered a wide range of unique ideas.

Winners include:

Senior Grace May

Junior Megan Brinkman

Junior Madison Sasman.

Honorable mentions to Junior Jack Teehan, Junior Theresa Thiel, and Junior Rierson Johnson.

May was extremely excited about receiving a first place in the prose category. As an award, she received a $50 amazon gift card.

“The inspiration came from something that actually happened to me,” May said. “I got lost because I took the wrong train coming home from an internship in the city, but it ended up making for a great story.”

Poetry covered more lyrical tones.

The winners are:

Junior Celia Dekeyser

Junior Carolyn Im

Senior Alex Pann.

Honorable mentions went to Senior Annie Murphy, Senior Dom Hensel, and Senior RobertLee Mason.  

Pann is no stranger to Harbinger. She has published several pieces in the magazine starting in her sophomore year. For her senior year piece, her inspiration came from her some of her favorite artists, Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix.

“I was in the middle of an internal conflict,” Pann said. “So I just took the pen to the paper and that’s what came out.”

For the visual category, students submitted paintings, drawings, and photographs.

The winners are:

Junior Olivia Klein

Senior Danny Donahoe

Senior Stephanie Storczer.

Honorable mentions went to Junior Coral Wang, Senior Kerrick Podgorski, and Senior Anna Osowski.

Storczer submitted a digital painting of a person with a fishbowl on their head.

“I drew the painting a while ago,” Storczer said, “I don’t really have an inspiration for it, I just enjoy drawing random  subjects that come to me.”

Keep an eye out for the Harbinger literary magazine which will come out in early May.