New Kids on the Block

Carmel's newest Fine Arts faculty

January 26, 2017

Carmel’s music program adds two new faces to its music program in 2017 with the addition of faculty members Tim Barclay and Matt Doran.

Tim+Barclay

Tim Barclay

Carmel’s new go to band guy is so popular in the area that he won’t be joining the Fine Arts department full-time until next year. But that doesn’t mean that the Instrumental Music Director Tim Barclay isn’t taking control of Carmel’s music program.

Barclay teaches Concert Band, Wind Ensemble and AP Music theory during the day and spends early mornings on Mondays and Wednesdays teaching the Jazz Band at 6:30 a.m. Another assistant band director, Bryan Grabowski teaches on Friday mornings when Barclay is unavailable.

Because of contractural obligations elsewhere, Barclay splits his time between Carmel and other schools, which is where Assistant Instrumental Music Director, Matt Doran steps in.

After graduating from Western Illinois University with a Music degree and the University of North Texas with a Master of Music degree, Tim Barclay spent ten years teaching music at high school and college levels. Like Doran, Tim Barclay also taught at Vernon Hills High School, as well as John Hersey High School and Libertyville High School. Barclay specializes in saxophone, but also enjoys flute, piano, and some guitar.