Political pilgrimage

Carmel students attend Chicago Right to Life March

Ellen Nelson

Students and faculty march through the streets of Chicago

Megan Brinkman, Editor-In-Chief

On Sunday, a dozen students and two teachers traveled to Chicago to support the pro-life movement at the city’s Right to Life March.

Carmel’s Choose Life Club sponsored the trip that started with a mass and rally at Saint Ignatius College Prep before heading to a march through Chicago.

Not to be confused with Carmel’s annual trip to the national Right to Life march in Washington D.C. later in January which is limited to seniors, this weekend’s trip was open to all grades.

“The kids who would go to Washington would go to Washington in January, and then they would graduate in May,” Choose Life Club moderator Ellen Nelson said. “So they wouldn’t be able to come back and share any of their experiences.”

Indeed, none of this weekend’s students were seniors, but an overwhelming number of juniors including Katie Collins, who founded the Choose Life Club and first proposed the idea of the trip. Collins emphasized the idea of solidarity, a core of Carmel’s religion classes.

“I think it’s good for us to see people who are like-minded and also for our government to see that as well,” Collins said.

But not all like-minded students were able to attend the march. Instead, students and faculty participated in a mass and rosary at the Titus Brandsma chapel to support those on the trip.

The club plans to host similar events, including a presentation from religion studies teacher Mark Plaiss about the death penalty, which he witnessed personally through his prison ministry.

Ultimately, though, the goal of the club is to show the power of coming together for their cause.

“It’s about getting excited about the possible changes we can make when we all band together,” Nelson said.