Nine pieces of advice for the 9th grade

1. Get involved

I’m sure you’ve heard this a billion and one times, but it’s some of the best advice out there!  From all the sports to clubs we have at Carmel ( yes, cake decorating is a real club AND it’s awesome), you’ll be able to find your niche and probably some of your closest friends!

2. Go to all the dances

Even if the boy you were dying to go with doesn’t ask you or the cute girl says no, still make it a night to remember with your friends!  You’ll regret not going when you see everyone all fancied up all over Instagram.  Remember there’s no Homecoming or Turnabout after these four years!

3. Be a part of the Student Section

Ask any of the seniors and most of them will tell you all about how awesome the student section is.  If you aren’t showing your school spirit on the field, then go all out with the theme.  Football season is another thing you are bound to miss, so scream along to “go bananas” and cheer on the team with the “defense” cheer.  TIP: if you have Facebook make sure to ask to join the group “Carmel Catholic Student Section” to be updated for games and themes or follow “StudentSecCrazy” on Twitter!

4. Keep your grades up

Right now you are probably more worried about who your friends will be or if you will make the sports team, but make sure that you are still giving your all in school, because that’s what you are at Carmel for!  College may seem far away, but you’ll appreciate your good grades from freshman year when you’re applying to your dream school and your GPA isn’t tanked.

5. Be open to making new friends

If you came with a set group of buds, make sure to be open to new friends.  Don’t get stuck in a group.  Being popular may seem like the most important thing right now, but trust me having real friends is worth way more than that.  Branch out to everyone!  And don’t be discouraged if you were hoping to make new friends, but it seems like everyone else already has their squad.  Keep being you and before you know it you’ll have an amazing group of friends!

6. Make friends with your teachers

Try to be nice and build good relationships so you feel comfortable asking them for help throughout the year.  It’s an added bonus to have a friendly face in the halls and who knows- maybe they will bump your 89.5% to an “A” after finals or accept your Facebook friend request after graduation!

7. Don’t be fake

Start off the year strong by avoiding burning too many bridges.  Gossiping may seem like a good conversation filler, BUT you don’t want the title “gossip girl” to follow you around the rest of high school.  WHAT YOU DO FRESHMAN YEAR STAYS WITH PEOPLE FOR A LONG TIME.  So do your best to be a good friend!

8. Take pictures

-But make sure you still take everything in!  In the age of social media it’s easy to get caught up in all the hubbub of posting the perfect picture for your insta.  Instead- take pictures for yourself!  You’ll love having tangible pictures stowed away in your drawer from when you were fourteen, so make sure you capture all these first moments!

9. Enjoy your year to the fullest

Although freshman year might seem intimidating, enjoy getting away with less responsibility, and love every minute of it.  Love your uniform, love school masses, love your early b days- it’s all apart of what makes Carmel, Carmel!