Third time’s a charm

Curtain falls on seniors’ Street Scenes career

Amanda Elert

Antonio Armagno, Jason Kappes, and Ashley Muller performing on student night with the rest of the senior cast.

Three is a lucky number—three persons in the Trinity, three musketeers, and three Street Scenes seniors that have been in the cast for three years.

Seniors Antonio Armagno, Jason Kappes, and Ashley Muller have been a part of Street Scenes since their sophomore year.

“Over half the cast is seniors,” director Denise Sebastiano said. “It’s very difficult to make it as a sophomore.”

These performers thought that the most difficult parts about joining the cast as sophomores was fitting in with the upperclassmen. Armagno said he didn’t know how he was able to get into the production.

“When the list came out, I was completely surprised that I made it,” Armagno said. “I went from feeling confused to excited.”

Kappes, however, had already been introduced to the family, as his older sister was a three-year cast member. He said that the three years has gone by quickly.

It’s crazy to think that I’ve been in Street Scenes for three years because I never imagined that it would be as big of a part of my life as it was when I started out.

— Antonio Armagno

“Part of me wishes I was still a sophomore so I could redo this whole experience,” Kappes said.

Muller was one of a few sophomore girls to make it into the production during her first year, but she didn’t find it too intimidating.

“I think your age doesn’t really matter as long as you put a lot of effort forward and try to find your place within the cast,” Muller said.

Sebastiano looks to the three-year seniors to lead the younger students and help create a supportive atmosphere. These people pick the practice themes and organize outside bonding activities like scavenger hunts and dinners.

The seniors are also responsible for making sure everyone feels welcomed and accepted.

“Some of the upperclassmen took me under their wing, and I’m so grateful for that,” Muller said. “I knew that when I became a senior I wanted to do that for the younger kids.”

At the end of the every student show performance, there was a special tribute to the trio in a scene that reflected the emotions and struggles of growing up. Armagno and Muller played parents to Kappes, which reflected the family idea that most Street Scenes cast members talk about.

“This year during the senior number, my heart stopped,” Muller said. “When our class started standing up and clapping at the end, it was so surreal.”

Senior year is full of lasts, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s easy to say goodbye.

“It’s finally over,” Armagno said. “It’s crazy to think that I’ve been in Street Scenes for three years because I never imagined that it would be as big of a part of my life as it was when I started out.”