Back to life

Dewey Decimals pay tribute to legends

Back to life

Megan Brinkman, Editor

The new IC rules tell students to be respectful and quiet, but sometimes rules are meant to be broken. Especially for a rock ‘n’ roll band.

The lead singer quickly strummed his chords, adjusted the microphone and paced back and forth like a caged animal. The guitarist stood out of sight of the crowd, ready for his music to take center stage. Younger faces hung back behind the drums and with a guitar waiting for the crowd to gather.

Fifty-seven years ago, three music legends–Richie Valens, Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper–were killed in a plane crash. Music fans refer to this day, February 3, as the Day the Music Died.

But on February 3rd, 2016, the Dewey Decimals brought the Music back to life. In the IC, Spanish teacher Greg Schwab, librarian Eric Franklin and students Michael Jones and Grant Blume honored the rock legends with some of their classics.

The ten-minute kickstart to the day energized students and faculty. The band spent major time getting their performance ready.

“We’ve been working on this for a couple weeks,” Franklin said. “We only practice at school.”

Decimal fans need not worry that the band has dropped their All-Ramones-All-the-Time approach. Schwab explained how the Ramones had once played the songs on this week’s Decimal set and even added their own spin to it.

But the band’s set isn’t the only place where the Ramones are present. Fans went wild for Schwab’s kick jumping and guitar shaking, moves that go back to the original band.

“I guess it all comes from Johnny Ramone,” Schwab said.

[embedyt] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Wlx_cP_ww[/embedyt]