We've Got Our Site Set On You

Emma Scheer

Emma Scheer

Early bird gets the worm

The Pros and Cons of taking Early Dismissal

January 19, 2016

Skip school

As the hand on the clock moves to 1:45, the teacher dismisses the class and my day is over. Rather than a coveted B5, it’s a regular day. I walk to my locker at the end of the 700 hallway, pack my bag, and put on my coat. A weird feeling overcomes me.

I amble past the several underclassmen, rushing to math, and I say my goodbyes to the seniors who’re on their way to period G. It feels wrong. I check my shoulder waiting for a teacher or a dean to ask me where I’m going. No one does; I have to remind myself I’m not skipping school, but in fact, I’m allowed to leave.

I’m a good student, hardworking and involved with several extracurriculars. My schedule contains three AP’s, one honors course, and two regular classes. In order to take Early Dismissal, I dropped an elective; a subject I’m not interested in pursuing and would’ve most likely slept through.

I value my time, and I know I can do something more valuable with it than sitting, or rather sleeping, through another 70 minute class. But as I arrive home around two o’clock, the possibilities are endless. The decision for me, a focused student who values education, is not hard to make. Homework is what I set out to complete. In fact, I almost make it a game: finish my homework before three o’clock. Although I rarely win, this mindset allows me to concentrate and motivates me to complete my work. That focus would’ve surely been absent if I were still at school, forcing my eyes to stay open as I stare blankly at the board in front of me.

Seniors with Early D have several options: hang out with friends, snuggle up with Netflix, do homework or study, exercise, get a job, take a nap, etc. Every A and C day these students have to decide what to do, how to spend their time. And while some days call for Netflix and a blanket, getting a job and going to work allows teenagers to experience the world outside of the classroom. A job teaches responsibility and cooperation more realistically than the vacuum of high school. Hanging out with friends or taking a nap might feel good momentarily–or maybe you actually do need the extra sleep–but going to gym or exercising fuels a healthy lifestyle that’ll last.

Rarely, do I waste the extra 70 minutes I get every day; however, it’d be naive of me to think that all seniors with Early D treat their time like me. These extra minutes allow me the opportunity to use my time in whatever way I want. Despite still being a teenager, Early D and the responsibility that accompanies it makes me feel more like an adult.