We've Got Our Site Set On You

Crossroads

Filed under News

Looking to the stars

Science students present stellar research

After presenting their research in January at the American Astronomical Society meeting in Dallas, Carmel’s Astronomy class had another opportunity to present their findings.

This time, they headed down to Volo Bog State Natural Area for a monthly meeting.

“Presenting at meetings like these are great opportunities for all of us to practice our public speaking skills and share our knowledge with others,” senior Sammy Dickmann said.

Dickmann is a student in science teacher Marcella Linahan’s Astronomy Research Class. In the fall, the group began to study IC1396, which is a very formal title for what is also referred to as the Elephant Trunk Nebula.

Despite having the experience of presenting in front of crowds, the two talks were very different for the Astronomy students.

In Dallas, the class presented their findings to experts who have studied the field. At Volo Bog, the six students will give an overview of their research, as well as information about Stellar Evolution, to a crowd that might not be as familiar with the concepts.

“This presentation is different from the presentations we gave at the AAS because it is for the general public, not specifically for astronomers,” Dickman said. “ We will have to explain more of the background of our project.”

While a great deal of the course is spent gathering data and applying the research in the classroom, the group is also expected to actively display their research to the public. This is both a scientific imperative and an integral part of Carmel’s mission

“As CCHS students, they are expected to participate in these outreach events and give back to the local community,” Linahan said.