Carmel’s Catholic spirit

A community of faith, knowledge and service

Carmels Catholic spirit

Every day the Carmel community comes together to celebrate faith, knowledge and service, so when the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA) announced that these were the three tenets of this year’s Catholic Schools Week, Carmel’s organizers knew that the school has a lot to celebrate.

Catholic Schools Week started more than 40 years ago as a way to unite dioceses across the country to celebrate common faith and core values with one another.

“It is our participation in a national celebration of Catholic education,” Assistant Principal for Teaching and Learning Jennifer Burkhalter said.

The NCEA theme of “Communities of Faith, Knowledge and Service” is manifesting at Carmel in the form of special speakers, recognition of parents, volunteers, faculty and staff and board members, and, most importantly the students.

Today kicks off with a presentation for all students by Carmel alum and international humanitarian Dr. Sam Attar who risks his life to save lives of the people in Syria.

Also on the slate of events for the week: recognition of the volunteers who help make Carmel run, special thanks to the talented and diverse faculty, and a special mass celebrating the school with the Carmel Board as guests. All week students, faculty and staff and administration have a chance to celebrate the community.

“What Catholic schools have is something special,” Campus Minister Michael Fitzgibbons said. “And that is diversity and unity.”