We've Got Our Site Set On You

Crossroads

Carmel Hockey: Senior Night Edition

It’s More Than Just a Game

Tori Jozwiak, Social Media Editor

With the flows flying, mixed emotions high, and flowers in hand, the Carmel Boy’s Hockey Team acknowledged their five seniors in their game with Highland Park yesterday.

Carmel lost 2-1, but that had little effect on the emotions that were more about the team as a whole than the score of one game.

“This is a big night for us seniors and it’s pretty special to be recognized as one of the leaders on the team,” senior goalie Gibson Harper said. “It’s great that we can share it with our families and even the students who came to support us.”

Being team leaders has its perks, but it doesn’t make the final year any less bittersweet for these five teammates.

“It hasn’t sunk in, that this is my last year of playing Carmel hockey,” senior and team captain Aaron Stowe said. “There’s been plenty of ups and downs, and I’ve built great memories throughout my Carmel career.”

The team’s season is a long one, starting way back in October. The team has been through a lot, learning new lessons on and off the ice along the way.

“I think the best thing the seniors taught me is that it’s not about just playing hockey, its more than that,” sophomore Joey Massarelli said. “The seniors have taught us how to mature over time and just how to be good people in general.”

Not only have the teammates learned from their seniors, but the leaders have also learned a thing or two about having fun from their younger peers.

“The younger guys have really taught me to just enjoy the game for what it is, especially since it’s my last season at Carmel,” Harper said. “They make sure I make the most out of every practice and game and have fun with it.”

For the younger players, it’s starting to sink in that their mentors won’t be there to back them up next year, and that is always a tough transition to make.

“I’m really going to miss our goalie, Gibson Harper,” two-time varsity defender Michael Pelfresne said. “Next year is going to be really different without him, but we have to adjust to the challenges that come our way.”

These underclassmen are just now realizing that they will be next year’s leaders, but they want to make sure to honor those who made their mark on Carmel hockey over the last four years.

“This year, I’ve made some really good friends so it’s sad to see them leave  so soon,” Massarelli said, “After all they’ve done for us, I believe they deserve a night to congratulate them on their career during high school.”