For whom the bells toll

The familiar ring returns

Homerooms were filled with applause during the morning announcements on Friday and it wasn’t just because it was a half day or because students were feeling particularly appreciated or because they were amped up on high fructose corn syrup.  It was because the bells are back.

The monotonal sounds marking the beginning and end of class periods were greeted like an old friend by many Carmel students and teachers.

The January announcement of the bell experiment drew mixed responses. Some complained about the inconvenience of not having bells, while others were open to trying something new.

“Not having the bells seemed to make the day go by slower,” junior Gianna Fiandaca said.

After announcing that the school would be testing out a new dismissal method that was more in line with a college experience, the faculty and administration monitored reactions to the lack of a definite start time and end time for each class. Teachers talked to their students, assistant principal Jennifer Burkhalter dropped in during lunches to gauge student opinion and a survey was sent out to all the staff members.

“We had a pretty clear indication of the struggle throughout the month without bells,” Burkhalter said. “It was obvious that we needed our bells.”

And of course, breaking school news wouldn’t be complete without a Twitter poll posted by Principal Mark Ostap. Nearly 250 people voted and almost 70% of Twitter wanted bells back, prompting Ostap and the administration to make the executive decision to restore the bells to their former glory.

Most students are relieved to go back to a more regulated system.

“I think it was distracting because you had to keep track of time during class,” Sophomore Adeline Stavros said. “But with the bells you don’t have to worry about that.”

Some students thought that the absence of the bells made them more responsible.

“I had to manage my time better and make sure I was on time to all my classes,” junior Olivia Atkins said.

Despite the lackluster response to the experiment, the administration said they are glad that they tried it and appreciate the amount of feedback.

“I hope that one unintended result is that the students and the faculty feel heard,” Burkhalter said, “Everything we do is for them.”